Is ecological transport possible at all?
There are several factors that make green transport difficult. They include, among others:
- based on fossil fuels (diesel oil);
- huge financial outlays needed to modernize the supply chain and means of transport (trucks, ships and airplanes powered by ecological fuel);
- relatively short range of LNG-powered trucks as compared to those powered by diesel;
- Higher costs of purchasing ecological means of transport as compared to conventional means of transport;
- traffic jams on the roads;
- insufficient persuasion of customers to use ecological solutions.
However, despite these difficult to overcome barriers, many companies manage to introduce ecological solutions in logistics. What changes are visible thanks to the efforts of entities for green logistics?
How the logistics industry is modernizing in terms of environmental protection.
There is still a lot of work to be done in this area. Delivery vans and trucks generate a large amount of pollution, the greatest concentration of which is, of course, in cities. Therefore, ecology in transport is based primarily on:
- the use of modern vehicles powered by electricity, compressed natural gas (CNG) or liquefied natural gas (LNG);
- optimization of the route from the producer to the customer;
- combining loads in one transport in order to optimize the loading space;
- Scheduling deliveries outside of peak traffic hours.
Such activities not only affect financial savings, but also reduce the negative impact on the natural environment.
Ways to modernize warehouse space in terms of ecological solutions.
The second element of introducing pro-ecological changes is focusing on the organization of warehouse space. Ecology in logistics in this regard uses:
- use of alternative energy sources – sun, wind;
- designing buildings to maximize their operation in natural light;
- full automation of the warehousing and distribution process.
The implementation of the basic ecological assumptions in logistics ensures not only improvements in the supply chain, but also measurable benefits for the environment. Their implementation is a joint responsibility of each entrepreneur and each of us.